Today is our one year anniversary of moving to Florida. One year ago today we climbed aboard with a one-way ticket to our new home. It started out a little shaky but nothing lasts forever.
It didn't take long for me to fall in love either. Listed below are the top 10 reasons I LOVE Florida. I'm proud of my new state and have arrogantly listed documented facts. It's an a-hole move I know, but there's logical evidence why it made my top 10. =D
But like all love affairs, I slowly discovered the flaws so I've also listed the top 10 things I detest about Florida as well.
- Gas prices. Ranked 19th lowest in the US (California - 47th).
- No state income tax.
- Warm sunshine. Florida is the warmest place in America.
- Beaches. The only state to beat Florida with beautiful beaches is Hawaii. N'uff said.
- Thunderstorms. Florida is the lightening capital of the world. Check out this video taken in Tampa, Florida.
- Tourism. Orlando was the #1 visited city in America in 2009. We've got everything from Mickey to Harry Potter to the Space Coast to gator tours. No excuses for boredom here.
- Fireworks! Fireworks are legal in the State of Florida. Being a California native the most exciting "fireworks" were sparklers. So you can imagine my thrill discovering roman candles, firecrackers, fountains and actual shooting fireworks that you set off yourself!
- Foliage. It's abundant and green. Even in a high industrial area you see nature.
- Affordability. The 4 bedroom/2000+ square foot home we currently reside in cost the same as our 2 bedroom/900 square foot apartment EIGHT YEARS AGO!
- Slower pace of life. In San Diego our schedule was always full of obligations. Dinner plans with friends had to made weeks in advance. To spend an entire weekend at home was rare. Here in Florida we are hardly ever "on the go" and much of our time is spent in at our leisure. Life's not so overwhelming and anxious, it's nice that way.
- 9 out of 10 bathrooms do not provide toilet seat covers. GROSS!
- Floridians do not understand/practice the hierarchy of lanes on highways. ALL lanes are the slow lanes. They do not yield to faster drivers either.
- Bugs. Red ants, mosquitoes, gnats, lovebugs, spiders, grasshoppers, beetles, drangonflies. All are humungous in size and quantity. And these are the bugs I can see! At night there are a million others that I can hear. I'm so done with bugs.
- Walking in grass. Florida is COVERED with beautiful, lush green grass but you'd be crazy to walk in it. You never know what could be lurking in it's reeds and I'm not just talking about bugs; snakes, toads, turtles, rodents... you get the picture.
- Produce. There is little of it to buy and what is available is expensive and low quality.
- We love to eat out and Florida just does not offer a wide variety of good restaurants. Sure, we have a couple favorites but it pales in comparison to our list of favorites in San Diego. It's also worth noting that many of our favorites here are substitutions for ones in San Diego.
- Traffic lights. The traffic lights are not equipped with sensors or alternative cycles so you could easily sit at a light long enough to contemplate running it OR you begin to yell at the light to turn. The lights here are essentially retarded.
- No Trader Joes. I know what you're thinking... how have I survived a year without it? I don't know. I knew I was going to have to find substitutions for all my favorite Trader Joes products but it's impossible. Condition #1 when moving to a new city? There must be a Trader Joes nearby.
- Humidity. As much as I love the warm temperature and sunshine, I could do without some of this humidity. I have sweated for no apparent reason and sweated in areas I didn't think even had the capability of sweating in. The humidity is so bad from June to September, it makes it unbearable to be outside.
- Water. The water here stinks as in smells funny. The water that flows from the taps in funky and the glass of water you get in a restaurant tastes like swamp. You half expect the glass to be filled with slimy algae and tadpoles. It's pretty horrendous.