I simply did a spinoff of my new second to favorite dessert, the Extremely Easy Eclair Cake and it worked like gangbusters. This eclair cake, original or pumpkin, has got to be the easiest recipe ever and the end result will taste as if you labored in the kitchen for hours. You can confidently display your achievement like an accomplished MOF chef. The sun will shine down on you and a choir lost in the clouds somewhere will sing. *ahem* well, it does for me atleast, in my head.
|Pumpkin Eclair Cake|
PUMPKIN ECLAIR CAKE
1 - 3.4 oz. package of instant Pumpkin Spice pudding (seasonal)
2 cups of fat-free milk
1 - 8 oz. tub of Free Cool Whip
1 sleeve of graham crackers
1 oz. chopped pecans
dash of nutmeg
1. Whisk instant pudding and milk together until it begins to thicken.
2. Fold in 3/4 of the tub of Cool Whip. You don't have to waste a bunch of time measuring, you just want enough Cool Whip leftover to layer the top the cake.
3. Using a small 7x9 pan**, layer graham crackers to cover the bottom of the pan. My pan happened to fit 3 full-sized crackers side by side.
4. Pour half the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
5. Layer another row of graham crackers over the pudding mixture.
6. Pour the remaining half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
7. Put a final layer of graham crackers over the pudding mixture.
8. Take the leftover Cool Whip and "ice" over the graham crackers.
9. Sprinkle a handful of pecans and a dash of nutmeg over the top.
10. Refrigerate overnight (if you can wait that long). This allows the graham crackers to become soft like an eclair pastry.
Yields 12 "lady-sized" slices or 6 large generous slices or 1 "man-size" slice.
**I used a small pan simply because we inhaled the whole pan in 1.5 days. The same thing would happen in the same amount of time if I made a larger pan (doubling the recipe).
- Using fat-free milk and Free Cool Whip, the entire pan is 1,676 calories. A "lady-sized" slice runs a lovely 140 calories! Only problem is being able to stop at the one piece.
- The Pumpkin Spice pudding is a seasonal item so you may have to search for it at your grocers. Trust me, that's the biggest hassle of this whole recipe.
- Again, you can easily double this recipe.