We discovered the food and wine festival the first year we moved here to Orlando and have been hooked ever since. In fact, we plan our annual passes around the event so we get two years of food and wine off a one year pass.
The festival takes place inside Epcot park at World Showcase which is a mile-long plaza centered around a huge lake. There are 25 booths that feature food and drink pairings from all over the world. For example, Japan offers a variety of sushi rolls that are paired with sake or a Japanese beer. All menu items are sample-size with some of the beverages available in regular-size portions.
In theory, you can walk over a mile at your leisure purchasing sample-sized food and drink and at the end of your walk have eaten all over the world. You'll be broke and drunk but who cares! Because we have passes, this is an event we tackle over 3 or 4 visits over the 6-week long event.
On top of great food and drink, they also host a concert series of well-known older artists. Our favorite to-date has been Richard Marx, although the Go-Go's sound pretty fun this year. They feature around 19 different bands throughout the festival season. The great part is the concerts are held in the pavilion that is at about the half-way point in the World Showcase. By the time you arrive, you are ready to sit for awhile! The bands play 3 times in the evening for about 40 minutes and they only play their hits. I don't know which one I like more, the food and drink or the concerts. Wait. Who am I kidding, I like the food and drink better.
So this year this is what I got my sights on:
- Abita Brewing Company Fall Fest. Abita is by far my favorite beer so I'm really looking forward to trying this and I am so happy to see them representing at the festival.
- The California Roll with sake at Japan, my festival favorite. I had never tried sake before and what more perfect than to try it at this festival. Turns out I can't get enough of sake!
- Almond Crusted Blue Cheese Soufflé with Fig Jam at the cheese marketplace paired with a nice wine.
- Everything at the Dessert and Champagne Marketplace... chocolate orange cupcake, hazelnut chocolate cheesecake, cherry pistachio mouse, frozen s'mores, yes please!!
- Beef Bourguignon in France. Always wanted to try! You could get some escargot is you'd like.
- Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I am NOT a fan of Sam Adams, never have been UNTIL I had the Cherry Wheat from tap. AH-MAZE-ING! I now buy Cherry Wheat in the bottle at the store, not the same but it gets me through till the next festival.
- Scottish Banoffee Tart with bananas, Scottish Whisky Toffee, Walkers Shortbread Crumbles and Sweet Cream, omg yes!!
- Singapore has got some coconut curry that sounds delish and some grilled mahi with jasmine rice.
I hope to report back my findings along with pictures so stay tuned!